Middle School Science Camp Counselor
Loma Mar: Counselor Information Sheet
APPLICATIONS – The application packets should be completed and turned in before your interview. You must be a sophomore, junior or senior with a G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher with a good attendance record. Application Packet can be accessed by clicking HERE. Please turn in COMPLETED Application Packet to Ms. Klescewski in the office by MONDAY, JANUARY 9TH, 2017 at the latest.
INTERVIEWS – Group interviews will be conducted on Tuesday, January 10th from 10:00-3:30 PM in the Conference Room. Please sign up for an interview time with Ms. Klescewski in the office when you turn in your application packet.
WORKSHOP – A MANDATORY training workshop will be held on Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 at Creekside Middle School from 1:30-5:30. Please bring snacks to eat during the training.
DATES – Students from Castro Valley High School are needed for five different weeks:
1. Feb 27-March 3 with Canyon Middle
2. March 6-10 with Canyon Middle
3. March 13-17 with Canyon Middle
4. March 20-24 with Creekside
5. March 27-31 with Creekside
Please check with your teachers and employers prior to the interview so you know if you can attend.
INFORMATION ON EXPLORING NEW HORIZONS
- The program is a 5-day outdoor school conducted by Exploring New Horizons, a nonprofit educational organization.
- The program is conducted at Camp Loma Mar in the scenic coastal redwoods, approximately 15 miles south of Half Moon Bay and a few miles inland from the beach.
- You will be responsible for about ten 6th grade students in a cabin. They will sleep in the same cabin with you, go on hikes with you, and eat at your table for the week.
- A trail group consists of a boy’s cabin and a girl’s cabin, their two counselors and an ENH naturalist (trail teacher). Days are spent exploring the beach and forests.
- Your “time off” is one hour after the students go to bed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights (unless special circumstances arise and we need you to stay with your cabin group). Your needs come second to the needs of the students. DO NOT come up for a break from school.
- There is no financial cost to you. We do expect a lot from you but we also expect that your experience at the Outdoor School will reward all of your time, energy and support.
- If you have any questions or need more information, please call Jackie “Moon”Latham in our office at (650) 879-0608 or firstname.lastname@example.org