Interdistrict Transfers (to/from other school districts)
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS TIMELINE
*As of 3/27/2020, please note that under current social distance requirements, our ability to process Interdistrict Transfer requests has been shifted to virtual processing. Please mail or scan and email interdistrict transfer requests to Ms. Annette Burt, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- We begin accepting interdistrict transfer requests for the next school year on March 30th.
- For current school year requests, parents will receive a transfer decision notification within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt of the request.
- For future school year requests, parents will receive a transfer decision notification as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the beginning of the school year for which interdistrict transfer is sought.
- For new interdistrict transfer applications, parents must complete the enrollment process within 10 business days of receiving an interdistrict transfer approval notification from CVUSD.
- Failure of the parent to meet any timelines established by the district may be deemed abandonment of the request.
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS TO CVUSD
A parent or legal guardian of a student living outside the CVUSD boundaries may request a transfer for that student to attend a school within the CVUSD. If you wish to apply for an Interdistrict Transfer, you must first start the process and obtain an approved Interdistrict Transfer (release) from your home district of residence. Once approved from your home district, applications for Interdistrict Transfers for the 2020-2021 school year can be submitted to our district office starting March 30, 2020.
All applications must include:
- A copy of the most current transcript/report card
- Attendance records from current school
- Discipline records from current school
- Most recent IEP (if eligible)
- Documentation to support the reason(s) for the request
Due to space limitations and impacted enrollment, CVUSD may approve Interdistrict Transfer applications only as required by CA Education Code and Board Policy.
Approval will be granted based on available space and the review of the requested backup documentation. We will make every effort to either approve or deny requests before the start of the school year. In some instances, we may not be able to determine if we can approve the request until the a number of weeks after school begins. While awaiting our decision, continue with registration and enrollment in your district of residence, and plan accordingly so your student does not miss a day of school. If approval is granted, you will be notified by email to begin the CVUSD enrollment process. Status will not be available prior to official notification.
Castro Valley Unified School District accepts students on interdistrict transfers based on the following criteria:
- Students are accepted on a space available basis
- A copy of the most recent report card must be submitted with the transfer request
- Your child must have good attendance with no "cutting" classes and few or no tardies
- Your child must not have any behavioral or discipline problems
- All transportation will be provided and/or arranged by the parent
If during the school year any of the above conditions are not met, or if school enrollment becomes impacted, the transfer will be revoked and your child will be sent back to his/her home district. Also, once approved please be advised, there is a possibility that when particular grade levels have impacted enrollment, your student may be moved to another school. This movement would only occur once per child.
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER APPEAL INFORMATION
For information regarding the appeal process for a denied interdistrict transfer, please follow the instructions on the denial letter and appeal first to CVUSD Director of Student Services. As a second step, if needed, you can contact your resident county office of education. You have the right to appeal a school district's final decision to the county board of education within 30 days of the date of the final denial of transfer. Below is a link to the Alameda County Office of Education.
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS FROM CVUSD TO ANOTHER DISTRICT
Requests for students living inside the CVUSD boundaries, wishing to attend a school outside of our district boundary lines, must be approved by CVUSD before it is forwarded to the district which the student is choosing to attend.
Download the Interdistrict Transfer Application, fill out the form, attach the required documentation and bring it to the Student Services Department located at CVUSD, 4400 Alma Ave., Castro Valley. We will complete the CVUSD portion of the request, and it will be the parents/guardians' responsibility to obtain approval from the requested transfer district.
The transfer district must give their approval before the student is allowed to attend a school outside of the CVUSD boundary lines. Student is considered a CVUSD student, and should continue attending school, until the student has been approved by the transfer district and withdrawal has been completed from the CVUSD school.